Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Final Lesson of 2004

Today was our final lesson of 2004. For this year, Thursday class had been quiet and we rarely had more than 4 people in class each time. Surprisingly, today's class was exceptional. We had 10 students in class today. It has been a long time since we have had such excitement in class. I had missed it so much and I hope this will stay for a while.
Just this week, I had submitted my entry for the Ceramivity 2005. Just preparing for the materials to be sent to the committee was an experience itself. I guess it would be nice if I could participate but this experience had been useful nevertheless. For one, I had to reflect on my own pieces of work and to think about how and why I had worked on certain forms. That got me thinking about my current trailing series... that perhaps I should think about why I am so interested in trailing... my philosphy etc. Not easy at all.
But it got me thinking.... and I am glad... I have begun taking down notes on glazes, patterns of trailing, recording my test pots etc. Hey perhaps next year, there will be more control in my outputs and paying more attention to the process. I shall try to take a couple of photos of my latest pots.. not really good... but still it is a process.... and post them here.
My philosphy:
"It is through pottery that I have learnt to appreciate the beauty in imperfections. It is the flaw that makes the pot unique and perhaps its very own character... Just like everyone of us."

Perhaps that's why till today I am still finding it so hard to discard pots that are not perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home